Lighting The Way: why LEDS continue to storm the marketplace

February 28, 2015

Though small in size, the light-emitting diode, or LED as it is more commonly known, made a huge impact when it first arrived on the scene. And this was not just in the lighting industry, but in almost every industry; this was a revolutionary little thing. Suddenly, LEDs were being integrated into products in the toy, entertainment, gaming, aviation, and automotive sectors too. In fact, they could find a use just about anywhere. For example, commonly owned products which use LEDS include a TV remote, a computer, calculator, car, torch – the list just goes on.

However, it’s no surprise that it is in the lighting industry that LEDs are a source of particular interest. This is simply because they can offer so many advantages over traditional lighting sources. For example, incandescent and fluorescent. And whilst their potential was immediately obvious, these little lights have continued to grow and grow in popularity and usage. Why is this?

1 – Energy Efficiency

One of the biggest advantages of LED technology is its exceptional energy efficiency. When it comes to lighting a home, incandescent bulbs are the least energy efficient. They convert only about 10 percent of electricity into light. The remaining 90 percent is wasted as heat. That’s why incandescent bulbs feel hot to the touch when left on for extended periods. Halogen and fluorescent bulbs are better options with respective efficiencies of 30 percent and 75 percent over incandescent. But LEDs outperform them all. Their unique design makes them 90 percent more efficient than incandescent sources. At that rate, LEDs can significantly reduce annual home lighting energy bills – always a winner.

2 – Performance

LEDs also rank highly for performance. Like incandescent and halogen sources, they deliver bright light, reach full power instantly, and can be dimmed. They can also be switched on and off repeatedly without affecting bulb life.

In contrast, compact fluorescent bulbs perform poorly in all of these areas. They are slow to warm up, difficult to dim, and cannot withstand the frequent on/off switching because it reduces the life span of the bulb. In addition, compact fluorescents have been criticised for the harsh, bluish light quality which they produce. LEDs, on the other hand, offer a wide range of colour options, from yellows that mimic incandescent light, to dynamic blues, greens, reds and a multitude of other colours. In fact, some bulbs even allow thematic settings like “sunset” or “deep sea,” depending on user preference.

3 – Extended Life

Another advantage of LEDs is their extra-long lifespan, shining on for years and even decades beyond traditional light sources. In fact, they can survive up to three times longer than compact fluorescent, eight times longer than halogen, and a whopping 25 times longer than incandescent.

As a result, maintenance is easier with LEDs because bulb replacement is virtually eliminated. Even when an LED nears the end of its life, it doesn’t go out entirely. It merely dims, with recommended replacement occurring when it reaches 70 percent of the original brightness.

Considering all that the LED has to offer, it’s no small wonder that demand continues to grow for this iconoclastic light source. In fact, experts anticipate it will become the most popular lighting technology available on the market within the next five years. Its ability to save energy, perform better, and last longer over time, compared to traditional sources, are undeniable benefits. With selling points like these, upgrading to LEDs will soon be irresistible to homeowners everywhere as they seek to reap the numerous advantages that LEDs can provide.